Written by

How Do I Apply?

If you are interested in applying for public housing, contact the Authority at (804) 733-2200. 

The Application Process

The application must be written. The Authority will collect the following information to determine eligibility:
  • Names of all persons who would be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth, and relationship to the family head.
  • Your present address and telephone number.
  • Family characteristics (e.g. veteran) or circumstances (e.g. living in substandard housing) that might qualify the family for tenant selection preferences.
  • Names and addresses of your current and previous landlords for information about your family's suitability as a tenant.
  • An estimate of your family's anticipated income for the next 12 months and the sources of that income.
  • The names and addresses of employers, banks and any other information the Authority will need to verify your income and deductions, and to verify the family composition.

Will I Need to Produce Any Documentation?

Yes, the Authority representative will request whatever documentation is needed (e.g. birth certificates, tax returns, etc.) to verify information given on your application.  PRHA will also rely on direct verification from your employer, etc. You will be asked to sign a form to authorize release of pertinent information to the Authority.  Failure to submit required documentation will result in removal from the wait list, and you must reapply.

When Will I Be Notified?

The Authority has to provide written notification. If PRHA determines that you are eligible, your name will be put on a waiting list, unless the Authority is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the Authority will contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, PRHA must say why and if you wish, you can request an informal hearing.   

Will I Have to Sign a Lease?

If you are offered an apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the Authority. You will have to give the Authority a security deposit. You and the Authority representative will go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the Authority's responsibilities as a landlord. 

Are There Any Selection Preferences?

Giving preference to specific groups of families enables the Authority to direct limited housing resources to the families with the greatest housing needs. 

The Authority has the discretion to establish preferences to reflect needs in its own community. These preferences are included in the Authority written policy manual.

How Is Rent Determined?

Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your family's anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow the Authority to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application the Authority representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.

The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

  • 30% of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly adjusted income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations).
  • 10% of monthly income.
  • A $50 minimum rent or higher amount set by the Authority.